[Find a PDF version of this call here]
Registered in 2003, Zubaan is a charitable trust based in Delhi. It follows in the footsteps of its parent NGO, Kali for Women, and has been an active participant, chronicler and publisher of the women’s movement since 1984. It works to increase the body of knowledge on women with a special focus on South Asia and India.
Zubaan has often brought forward the voices of marginalized communities through its publishing work, focusing on women, queer and trans experiences and in the recent past, has also shifted its focus to research and action work. With prior work chronicling the women’s movement through Poster Women, Zubaan is also currently engaged in working on multiple projects focusing on cultural and knowledge production, partnering and collaborating with women’s unions, collectives, grassroots activists, etc. across the region. Details of ongoing projects are available on our website here.
Zubaan is an equal opportunity employer and is attentive to issues of social exclusion of groups and individuals. It is our constant endeavour to address this in both the content we produce and our hiring policies.
Position: Project Consultant (Cultures of Peace: Festival of the Northeast)
Procedure: Please note that this call for applications reserves staff positions for women, trans and non-binary people from Northeast India (Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura). Applicants from hill regions of districts Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong may also apply. Applications from persons outside of these communities will not be considered
Please send your resume and a 500-word cover letter detailing your understanding of the organisation, position and project, as well as your fitness for this role at Zubaan, to email@example.com by July 22, 2020.
Please put “Application for Project Consultant (Cultures of Peace)” in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further.
Location: Preferably based in Northeast India and contiguous areas, with some travel required for project activities to Delhi (when safe)
Consultancy period: August 15, 2020 to December 15, 2020, full time (potentially renewable for 6-12 months in January 2021)
Job description: Programming for and coordinating Zubaan’s event-based project, Cultures of Peace: Festival of the Northeast. The selected candidate will have to coordinate remotely with partners across Northeast India to develop and implement an events programme, as well as a corresponding media archive programme.
— One year’s experience (preferably more) in event management, coordination and programming (similar position)
— Some experience with/knowledge of cultural programming, activism and organising/mobilising, especially with respect to different states in Northeast India
— Some experience with/knowledge of the feminist and women’s NGOs network in India
— Familiarity and experience with management of project budgets and accounts
— Bachelor’s degree
— Self-motivated team player with excellent coordination and organisation skills
— Excellent written and spoken English; good spoken knowledge of other Indian/indigeneous languages is a plus
- Implementing and organising project activities and events, in collaboration with the Zubaan team and other project partners (individuals and organisations), and in keeping with the overall project plan developed with predecessor
- Commissioning and managing materials for project-funded media archive (video, podcast programme, writing, etc)
- Consulting and collaborating with Zubaan projects team for the creation of social media materials and implementing an outreach programme for overall focus on key project areas (Northeast India, cultural production, etc)
- Management of the project budget
- Organising and attending planning and/or review meetings with Zubaan team, and other project partners and funders when necessary
- Managing final submissions to funder: (i) reviewed and finalised project accounts and (ii) financial and narrative project reports
- Regular checkback mechanisms will be (i) weekly update meetings with project director, (ii) monthly accounting with finance team
Compensation & other job details:
- ₹37,500 per month (TDS applicable)
- Free lunch when in the office in Delhi
- Moderately flexible work hours